Aims and Objectives;
The overall goal of the programme is to provide broad-based education to computer science students that will produce graduates equipped to apply best practices in software design, research and implementation to a wide range of software and computer systems in organizations.
In fulfilling this, the program is designed to:
- Impart sound technical knowledge and skills to students on a range of computer science courses, thereby enabling them to develop the appropriate know-how in troubleshooting, designing and implementing software and computer systems.
- Develop entrepreneurial and basic business skills to enable students recognize opportunity and develop businesses to facilitate service delivery.
- More specifically, the programme aims at developing technical competencies in the area of Software Design and Development, Databases and Database Management, Data Networks and Communication, IT Security, Entrepreneurship and IT Project Management.
The objectives of the programme are to train students who will be able to:
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of the fundamental principles, theories and practices both in the computer industry and in the academic field.
- Demonstrate high level of expertise in the use of computer hardware and software systems.
- Demonstrate and understanding of the principles underlying the design and the performance of computer hardware and software.
- Develop, test, document and maintain software and further evaluate computer applications.
- Effectively communicate ideas, proposals and design to colleagues and to potential user.
- Produce graduates who can function effectively as part of a project team involved in programming, system analysis and design, database, networking, web technology, multimedia and mobile applications.
- Align the dynamic nature of digital technology (innovation) to businesses or organizations.
- Recognize business opportunity that enables them to develop IT services for commercial gain. Pursue higher degrees in Computer Science and related areas.
- Develop the requisite skills for undertaking research-based IT projects.
The BSc. in Computer Science degree has the following program outcomes. Our program enables students to achieve, by the time of graduation;
- An ability to apply knowledge of computing and mathematics appropriate to the discipline;
- An ability to analyze a problem, and identify and define the computing requirements appropriate to its solution;
- An ability to design, implement and evaluate a computer-based system, process, component, or program to meet desired needs;
- An ability to function effectively on teams to accomplish a common goal;
- An understanding of professional, ethical, legal, security, and social issues and responsibilities;
- An ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences;
- An ability to analyze the local and global impact of computing on individuals, organizations and society;
Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in, continuing professional development;
- An ability to use current techniques, skills, and tools necessary for computing practices.
- An ability to apply mathematical foundations, algorithmic principles, and computer science theory in the modeling and design of computer-based systems in a way that demonstrates comprehension of the tradeoffs involved in design choices;
- An ability to apply design and development principles in the construction of software systems of varying complexity.
i. Programme Duration
Minimum of four (4) years and Maximum of six (6) years
ii. Credits Required for Award of Degree
Based on the level of entry, the credits required for the award of first degree are as follows:
• Level 100: A Maximum of 132 credits and a minimum of 126 credits.
• Level 200: A Maximum of 114 credits with a minimum of 108 credits.
• Level 300: A Maximum of 84 credits with a minimum of 78 credits.